Sunday, July 20, 2008

Life as a student

Most of you will probably know that as well as working I've been studying a Bachelor in Social Science full-time through Edith Cowan University in Western Australia. Clearly, it's external studies! This pretty much means that instead of having face-to-face lectures I receive work online and converse with students & lecturers through the Internet.

It is a completely different way of studying, and in all honesty I have found it quite challenging not having the 'real life' contact with people. I think for me, I often see new ways forward and am inspired when I'm learning with other people, so it's been a new thing learning to work on my own. A lot of the time I haven't quite known if I've been heading the right direction or if I'm learning things which are totally off track. So when it was the exam period I was quite anxious as I didn't know if I'd learnt enough to pass the exams!

As I'm an external student (and am NOT going to fly all the way back to Australia just for exams) we need to sit our exams in a university building closest to our area. The closest one to me was London, so I went to London for the week of exams! Although it being quite a stressful week revision wise, I quite liked it, as I stayed with my friend Maria for the week. It was really nice catching up with her- and one night when we were out, we even saw Gordan Ramsey (for those of you who don't know, the famous chef who runs the program 'The F Word'...think he may run some others too...).

As I was driving home from London I was so certain that I would need to re-do one of my exams, at least, but I got the results back on Monday and I passed them all without any problems! I am seriously happy about that!!

I've been considering stopping uni after this last semester, but have decided to keep it up part-time over this next 6 months and see how things go. I have been trying to do uni 2 days a week, but it wasn't working doing it like this for full-time studies...so hopefully it goes much better with part-time study! And if I feel like I'm getting on top of it, I may go back to full-time study next year.

Tomorrows job is to work out what subjects I will study this semester!!

No comments: